Sunday, February 9, 2014

"What are you blogging about?"

This was the text my mom sent me after I sent, "I think I'm going to dabble in blogging."

 

Such an excellent question. Sometimes my mom throws out the simplest of questions and completely gets my mind buzzing with ideas. She's so good at that, and that's one of the many reasons she is the best.
After taking me about 2 hours to come up with a name, comparing various blogging sites, and then the exhausting battle of, "what should my background color be???" I think I'll settle here. For now.
I married in Greek (That's the side RN hubby and I like to associate with most of the time); am an Occupational Therapist and can BS my way through 50 page papers like a boss and make anything OT related (can I get an "Amen" from my OT brethren??) Currently, I'm the proud momma of my loveable and sassy fur kitten-baby, Allie; and love more than anything to COOK for my friends and family. Crafting and DIY has become a close second, thanks to beautiful, distractible, got-me-through-grad-school Pinterest.
Beginning this blog, idea page, story of my life, adult livejournal (ahh, good times), girly gab fest, I think has been at least 9 months in the making. -No, I am not talking about pregnancy (though I think my MIL would be totally OK with that [though we wouldn't be...yet!]) But it so happens that exactly 8 months and 21 days ago I married my wonderful, loyal, big hearted, RN husband. Now, before I go further this isn't all going to be about how mushy and fabulous RN hubby and I are in our first year of marriage (though I might have my moments); but rather the reality of our first year and the many more years to come.
The reality is: nearly 9 months ago on our wedding day, after the "I Do's" and what people still tell me today was the "important part," I fell at our reception; tearing nearly every ligament in my left knee from my 4th (3.5ish) knee dislocation. I was carted out of our reception on a stretcher, and was in the ER in a wedding gown. Today: February 9, 2014,  I have gone through roughly 8 months of PT, seen 2 orthopedists and have had 2 subsequent surgeries to repair my knee from my wedding day fall. I am currently laying on the floor typing away while in a continuous passive motion (CPM) machine (100 degrees today) to work on knee flexion. Good news is- things seem to be finally- and I say that tentatively, making a turn for the better. I see the surgeon tomorrow. I have irrational fears of him yelling at me and saying, "It's not good enough!"- but he has yet to do that...when you've  had an injury for this long, you irrationally imagine everyone yelling at you.
So, maybe I'll eventually write about the details of the wedding and the left knee disaster? It'll be cathartic, therapeutic even. A total admittance to me still not being "ok" with the situation. Which, guess what, it's OK not to be OK. RN hubby taught me that. 
If I get nothing out of blogging, that's OK. If no one reads, that's OK too. It's for me, my husband, my precious cat, maybe my family and some friends. This is my route to release some creative energy, a place where I can challenge myself mentally and even share my adventures with becoming an "accidental housewife." - You can't be a therapist when you can't walk. 8.75 months people. Stir crazy, much??
Also, anyone else over this Polar Vortex? Stop snowing, please. Crutches + snow/ice = treachery.
Dinner tonight when RN hubby gets home, I always try and wait for him even if it is 8:30-9pm and against all dieting advice. Whatever.
-Roasted lemon, wine, butter chicken breast
- parmesan grits
-leftover roasted balsamic Brussels sprouts
We are so fancy. :]
Happy Sochi everyone, I must go tear-up as I watch figure skating.
RN hubby and I on our honeymoon in the Mayan Riviera. Such a beautiful place!

1 comment: